Monday, February 9, 2015

The 6th Discipline

We all know the 3 disciplines of triathlon:  1.Swim 2.Bike 3.Run

4. Nutrition.   Nutrition is extremely important and when not executed well can turn months of great training into mush on the side of the road.  [You can see more in depth views of my nutrition rants HERE, and HERE.  More to come for sure] 

5.  Transitions.  I’m sure it’s been said by others, but I do think that transitions are a discipline of triathlon.  It’s something that I practice and include in my training.  Even for sprint races, I have T1 and T2 piles on the floor. With my trikit, wetsuit, cap, goggles and race chip in hand I ‘run’ up to my T1 pile and exchange my swim gear for my bike gear – Do I have everything?  Then I turn around and ‘run’ up to my T2 pile and exchange my bike gear for my run gear – Do I have everything?

Could there be a 6th discipline?  I mean how many do we need??  Well, I added another one to my training. 

6.  Self Chatter (or Chattah as my TS Aus friends would say).  We all know that little voice inside our heads “This is too hard”, “I’m so tired”, “I don’t know if I can do this”, “I don’t know if I can reach my goals”.  And we all know the little voice inside our heads (hopefully) that says “You can do this”, “This is worth it”, “Don’t give up”.  We don’t really focus on it, but it is a part of who we are and part of what gets us through the training.  What if we DID focus on it?  What if we had specific mantras that we told ourselves over and over during our training?  What if we visualized crossing that finish line at the hour mark we’ve been working for?  Well I subscribe to you, that if you believe it, it will happen.  In fact I know for certain, that if you don’t believe it, it won’t happen. 

I’m not really one to make excuses – ‘It is what it is’ and I ‘Do the best with what I have’, I might not be 100% during that particular day/workout, but ‘I give 100% of whatever I have’.  I’m not one to get down on myself if a workout doesn’t go as expected, I try to ‘Set it and Forget it’.  BUT I have to admit I am someone who has a hard time telling myself  ‘I am Powerful beyond Measure”.  I’m more afraid of being a 10-hr IM athlete than I am of a DNF at the end of the day.  Seriously.  That’s kind of hard to say out loud, but it’s true.  I’ve taken 1:40 off my 1000yd time trial because I’ve stayed disciplined in working on my technique and not laps.  I am stronger on my bike from continually working on a good fit with a professional fitter, and sticking to my OutSeason like glue to get stronger.  I’ve been able to finish my last three miles of my long runs (13-18 miles) at a sub-8:00 mile pace because of my patience at the beginning of my runs.  Does that calculate to a sub 11-hr IM time?  I don’t know cause I’m scared to do the math!!  I don’t want to know because it just might be possible!!!!

So words of wisdom to myself  “I am powerful beyond measure”, “I am strong”,  “I have committed to this plan and process and I BELIEVE in it making me FASTER”. 

Visualize yourself with that perfect swim stroke.  Grab that shelf and pull yourself over it.  EASY AND FAST.

Visualize yourself being STEADY on the bike, being thankful that your seat isn’t slowing you down, and being STRONG AND FAST.

Visualize yourself running slow that first hour maybe two “Slow is smooth and smooth is fast”… then build… then push.  You can run fast, just DO IT.  Don’t hesitate.  It might hurt, but the faster you run, the faster you get to the finish and see your support crew!!!!!

YOU ARE FAST!

YOU ARE STRONG!

And remember – this race will take less time that it did to give birth to T – and for those who know those particulars – it will probably be less painful.  Good advice from my midwife and doula “This pain has a purpose” – it sure does.  Ready or not NZ, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment